Sunday, October 17, 2010

Twenty-one in France

I just turned twenty-one in France. Yes, friends, it's official: I'm a big girl now. It isn't that big of a deal in France as you can imagine. It isn't as though they have quite a high age restriction and this isn't as big of a landmark here. It was like any other Saturday night really, except the greeting I got instead of "Salut!" was typically "Happy birthday!". I enjoyed it.

My roomies and my adorable little landlady threw a little birthday party for me. It was precious and I loved it. I was caught totally off guard with it too. I gave them a good four hours to pull it together without me knowing since I took a birthday nap to rival all naps.

I'm starting to really miss my friends from home though. I think the fact that I didn't celebrate my birthday with anyone who has been in my life longer than a month and a half that made me realize how many people I left back home. I really just want all my friends to come here and just hang out with me a few days. I kind of wish I was going back home for Christmas just to reconnect a little. Nine months is a long time.

As far as classes go, I'm still struggling. My comprehension is getting a lot better, but I typically get stage fright as soon as someone speaks directly to me. It's like my brain shuts down and doesn't know how to process anything. I'm hoping that this is just a hurtle that I'll eventually get over. It's slightly discouraging.

My London trip has been cancelled, but has been replaced with a fairly decent substitute. I believe the first weekend of November we are going to Nice, Cannes, etc. I don't know which one we are actually spending time in or if we're hitting them all while we're there. Plans here generally fall in place as they're happening and never this far in advance. I may get the game plan while we're on the train.

Either way, it should be great. I'm excited about all of it! :)


No comments:

Post a Comment