Saturday, January 1, 2011

Happy New Year!

It's been a while since I've posted, but I've not really known what to say. I did go to Colmar and it was as adorable as I wanted it to be. I went to Strasbourg too. But the best part so far has been staying with Melodie's family in Avignon.

French Christmas. I had two of them, really. I surprised even myself with the way I've pushed my limits and crossed my boundaries when it comes to being a picky eater and trying new things. I ate so many things that I never would have eaten if I hadn't been here and I'm better because of it. Chestnuts? Who knew I liked chestnuts? I didn't, but I sure do now! And snails, even. Superb.

It's been great being here and just having a home to stay in instead of a dorm. I know I lived in a house last semester, but I would hardly call that a home. It wasn't warm, it wasn't welcoming, it wasn't inviting. People weren't allowed to come over and it almost felt like we weren't allowed to actually "live" there, just be there. This has been wonderful and I'm going back to Chambery tomorrow. I'm going to miss it here. Melodie and her entire family have been more than welcoming and even though there's been a language barrier, it's been wonderful. I'm here for another 5 months and I just hope that I have a chance to come back and find a way to thank them for giving me a home for the holidays. I missed my own family, but it was nice to shake up the season. When else will I have a Christmas and a new year in France?

Speaking of the New Year - it was crazy. Where was I when it turned 2011? Well, technically I was passed out in bed for all my American friends and family, but when it turned 2011 in France I was living it up.

A few New Year's Resolutions - (I have some more personal resolutions, but these are the more general ones. If you want to hear about what else I have in mind, feel free to chat with me sometime)

-Actually say yes to everything. I know that Bridget and I made that pact in the beginning of the year and by the end of the year I was saying no more often than yes. I'm going to try to at least make it 50/50 this semester. Try and say yes as much as I say no.

-Speak French for crying out loud! That's what I'm here for!

-Keep trying new foods and new things. It's going well for me so far, so I don't see any reason to stop now.

-Keep in touch with the people close to me that aren't here with me. I've realized the value of friendship and how important it can be to not let the people you want in your life slip away from it.

-Finish a story. This was something that I said I wanted to do before I left for France and I'm not even close. I've got to get a move on.

That's really the gist of my list. There are more petty things like "dress like a Frenchie" (which I'm slowly starting to do) and the generic "do better in school" ones.

Up next for me is Rome and then back to classes. Hopefully everything will get settled down soon because it's kind of a mess going into it right now. Confusion is something very common in this country, I've realized. Hope everyone had a fabulous new year and here's to what 2011 can bring!

No comments:

Post a Comment