Tuesday, November 16, 2010

A little taste of November

It's only the 16th of November, but already so many things have happened. I should be at a Shakira concert right now, but I took the French transportation system for granted and couldn't get to Lyon to make it happen. To make up for that, I proceeded to go with Bridget to our pizza place and order my usual pizza (an order that the owner now knows by heart because I am a regular - success).

Shakira concert bust aside, I just came back the other night from Paris and I fell in love with that city all over again. I think it may be that I'm just getting more comfortable in France in general, but it felt different this time. I didn't feel as lost or confused. Plus I was watching some of the greatest names in tennis play in one of the greatest cities in the world. I was pretty bummed out that Nadal wasn't there, but I think I started appreciating other players more because of that. I wasn't so focused on that one player so I got to witness the potential in other players. I loved Llodra, the frenchman, because the French crowd went CRAZY for him. It was like I was at a rock concert or something. It was amazing. The trip was also a huge success because Mathieu was awesome enough to let my friend and I crash at his place for the weekend. I got to kind of experience Paris as more of an insider than an outsider looking in and even tried my hand at a French house party. I'm moving on up, friends. I can't wait to go back and hang out with a familiar Maryville College face in Paris very, very soon!

In other news, I think I'm really starting to pick up on the language. Definitely not speaking it, but I did catch myself writing something in French that I had intended to write in English. It's one small step for man, one giant leap for my overall comprehension. I'm hoping that it will be a domino effect and everything will just start falling into place with that one little push.

I don't know if I wrote about this yet or not, but I also spent the weekend before Paris in Nice. That was incredible and warm and all coast like. I loved the coast and could have stayed there a lot longer than 3 days. I also hit up Cannes and Monaco a little bit while I was there, but the weekend is not long enough to spend anywhere in France. I need a long time to just soak it all up.

It's getting close to Christmas time too, and I know Thanksgiving is first and all that, but they don't do that here so they're in Christmas mode meaning...so am I. I'm super excited about spending Christmas with Melodie and super grateful that I have friends here to spend Christmas with at all. It's going to be hard being away from home for Christmas, but it feels good knowing that I always have a place to stay here with someone. I love it.

There's my update for now. I feel like I leave so much out, but it all happens fast that if I continuously write about it I might miss out on something else.

No comments:

Post a Comment