Thursday, September 2, 2010

Bonjour people!

I had every intention of updating this daily, but with limited access to the internet that's presenting itself to be problematic.

I'm here, finally and have just finished day one of what's surely to be a grueling semester. I'm sure half the other people here are going to breeze right through it, but it turns out my French is horrible. I just nod my head and try to process everything, but it's not going as well as I'd hoped. I think I imagined this trip to be different in my head and I'd just step foot on French soil and be speaking the language right after. WRONG.

Navigating all my luggage in the airport and in the train station/on the train was a nightmare. Thankfully there were a lot of nice strangers along the way who helped me hoist a few suitcases here and there -- and actually get on the right train.

My landlady is cool, but speaks absolutely no French. And I'm pretty sure she weighs about as much as my suitcase. She's a little older and my room is up a few flights of stairs so I carried all my luggage in individual trips to my room. My room is cool. There's a balcony with an alright view. Just to touch on the view here a little bit -- the alps are incredible. It's gorgeous out here and this town is precious.

There are two other girls living here and its thanks to them that I've made it this far. Their translating has helped me a lot. Hopefully I'll get this down and be able to hold my own in conversations soon. I ordered a sandwich and some water in French today -- jambon et fromage. There are some other pretty awesome Americans -- one who is coincidentally from UT. Small world. We practically know each other and we're reppin' the south I guess.

I just took a shower. You wouldn't think that would be a monumental thing, but it was. I imagine its how my dog feels when I give him a bath. Only there was no one there to hold the shower head for me so I had to develop some serious skills -- in ten minutes. It's not easy and it's not refreshing. Showers are starting to creep up my "I'm going to miss..." list.

I haven't had a decent meal either. I've basically only had bread and tea, but delicious French bread and tea. Hopefully I'll get to the store soon and get some food. I've not been crazy hungry though. The walk to school is long and strenuous so when I get back to the states I want you all to expect calves of steel.

All in all, this seems like it's going to be an awesome trip. There are already hikes, bikes, and kayaks in my future and a few trips here and there with the people I've befriended.

More to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment