Thursday, September 30, 2010

Switzerland


I went to Geneva, Switzerland today. Honestly, I sometimes have to step back and look at the life that I'm living. I never thought I would hop on a train from France and go to Switzerland for the day. It can sometimes seen surreal; like I'm living someone else's life or I'm just in the middle of a movie. It feels like that. Chambery is like a movie set; almost too perfect and adorable to be a real city.

I tried really hard to enjoy Geneva. It was a cold, gray, and wet day and that has more influence on my mood than I would like for it to. I feel like I don't appreciate certain experiences like I should when my surroundings are less than ideal. However, I kept telling myself where I was and how many people dream of being in my very wet Sperry shoes. I think what I gathered from the little time I spent in Geneva is that, for people on a tight budget like me, window shopping is the only way to shop. Not only does the US dollar converted to the Euro converted to the Swiss Franc really put me at a disadvantage, but let's face it: I don't shop at Gucci, Louis Vuitton, Chanel, or any of those ritzy places on my best paycheck in the states. For the middle class American, Geneva should be visited for it's beauty and charm and certainly not for the shopping. We went to a church and up to the tower of the church for a panoramic view of Geneva and that was what did it for me. Even on a cold rainy day, it was breathtaking.

As far as the home front goes, I'm still tackling a small case of homesickness. That in addition to my cold has me occasionally missing American food, American television, and my American self on our American couch. So when I got my care package in the mail today (thanks, Mom!) I felt instantly better. It's nice to still feel connected to home. It makes being here a lot easier and a lot more enjoyable.

I still can't wait for classes to start, and even today I started thinking about all the things that I want to accomplish. There are so many things I want to achieve, not just here, but in my life as a whole. I think France will most definitely be the place that I find myself. I'm already on my way to self discovery as it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment