Saturday, September 4, 2010

Day: ...

I can't really remember what day it is other than it's Saturday and that's only because I'm not in class. I don't know what day of the month it is and I'm not even really sure what time it is right now. I'm having a lazy to do try and bounce back from the week I've had.

I guess I'll get used to this in a while, but right now it's really hard to sleep because my bedroom has this balcony door that is 100% not soundproof and my bedroom is right next to the road. So I'm constantly hearing cars and insanely loud motorcycles speed down the road and when someone talks outside the window I swear it sounds like they're in my room. Right now that keeps waking me up and whatnot, but I think eventually I'll get used to the sounds and be able to sleep right through it.

I went shopping today. Shopping in France is a little different I guess. It took me a while to figure out what I was getting, but there were some familiar names. I jumped on the Activia yogurt just because it was something recognizable. I just kind of hand cashiers the biggest bills I have and hope that it covers it because I'm still not sure what they're saying when they speed speak the price of things.

I'm still having a hard time adjusting to the fact that drinking here is completely normal. In fact, the ISEP coordinator gave our tutor/show us around girl money to take us out for drinks. Essentially the school just paid for me Leffe beer, and that's totally acceptable here. I think that would be discouraged in the states, but...welcome to France, I guess.

I haven't done any real tourist-y things yet. I haven't taken an insane amount of pictures yet either, which as I know is starting to annoy some people. Like my mother. But I'm here for 9 months, and all these things around me aren't going anywhere so I'll take pictures eventually. I'll definitely take pictures on my hike tomorrow so you can all look forward to some of that. My goal now during my down time is to study French as much as possible. I'm starting to somewhat pick up on a few things here and there, but it's not coming as quickly as I'd like it to. So now it's time to buckle down and learn this language.

Oh, and I'm learning a little bit of Italian too, thanks to -- none other than the Italians. Ciao.

No comments:

Post a Comment